Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Just Upscale And....

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Just Upscale And....

    put a 604 in the hole. Voila, eggsactly the thing for modern decor.

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Just Upscale And....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    put a 604 in the hole. Voila, eggsactly the thing for modern decor.

    Things are a changing and not for the better I like vintage always have and always will.I will do my part to keep Altec Alive and well.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Things are a changing and not for the better I like vintage always have and always will.I will do my part to keep Altec Alive and well.
    I'm certainly no fan of those products, but, in order to survive, a company has to build products that meet consumer demand.

    I think that Humpty Dumpty atrocity is probably a worse reflection on the consumers sucking them up, than it is of the company bringing them to market. I'll give the stage monitor a close 2nd.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Just Upscale And....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I'm certainly no fan of those products, but, in order to survive, a company has to build products that meet consumer demand.

    I think that Humpty Dumpty atrocity is probably a worse reflection on the consumers sucking them up, than it is of the company bringing them to market. I'll give the stage monitor a close 2nd.

    The problem with stuff today is that they are designed to last all of 3 minutes about the time it takes to plug them in and sit down.Bam it's toast I smell Made in China

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    I smell Made in China..............
    can i just add ".... and coming to a landfill near you"?

    When you see those walmart semi's traveling down the interstate, do you ever consider how much of their contents will be in a landfill within a decade?

    FWIW, not intending to bash our Chinese creditors, i'm rather fond of fireworks, Cantonese, Hunan, and Szechuan cuisine.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    ...... do you ever consider how much of their contents will be in a landfill within a decade?
    A lot of it, will be even sooner than that, I would think. Not that the research would be worth the money, but it would be very interesting to see the numbers/graph.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    Just Upscale And....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    I wonder How much of that stuff need's repair right out of the box . The problem is when we as Americans stop wanting to pay for things that cost more and demand quality over quanity we may start getting better stuff but I don't see that happening soon.We tend to buy things for $100 that will last 1 year instead of paying $500 that will last a lifetime.It's called cheaply over expensive or quanity/quality I prefer Quality.Case in point 2 years ago I bought a A/C unit brand new $600 24K btu made in China it lasted 1 summer before the fan motor blew and when it blew it took out the circuit board it was a digital panel.Parts were free as warranty was 5 years but labor costs were $168 I don't want anything made in China trouble is that it's everything nowadays.Because I know it won't last long with any kind of heavy use forget it, days were talking no matter what it is.That was just one example of many the list is long.I feel it's better to find vintage stuff and clean it up, it will last you alot longer than the junk you can buy today unless you spend Big $$$$. There are a few exceptions but few and far between.I have nothing against the Chinese I just don't like their consumer products.I think I have donated to that landfill quite often.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    AB and all.
    It would appear on the surface you are correct. Except...
    A friend of mine in the motorcycle parts business wanted to have some solid motorcycle wheels made. He went to a supplier to make his request. The supplier stated that to manufacture the wheels would require more investment then the wheels could be sold for retail. The supplier said he could have them made in China for much less. My friend said he did not want any cheaply made chinese wheels. The supplier said he could deliver high quality chinese wheels, the cost would be much higher though as good quality comes at a price even in China.

    So the problem it would seem lies here with our importers who buy cheap to sell cheap.
    Like Pogo said "We have met the enemy and it is us". Hey remember Pogo?

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    So the problem it would seem lies here with our importers who buy cheap to sell cheap.
    Like Pogo said "We have met the enemy and it is us". Hey remember Pogo?
    and consumers who want the cheapest possible.

    On a happier note, i seem to be reading and hearing more and more good things about Chinese vacuum tubes and transformers.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    Just Upscale And....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Just Upscale And....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    The supplier said he could deliver high quality chinese wheels, the cost would be much higher though as good quality comes at a price even in China.

    So the problem it would seem lies here with our importers who buy cheap to sell cheap.
    ?
    Hi Marvin, I have had some of that higher Quality Chinese stuff much more money with the same result instead of lasting 1 year I got 2 years(Camera's) I just prefer American made stuff that seems to be few and far between nowadays.As I said I have nothing against the Chinese people I had a couple Chinese friends when I was growing up good people, I just don't like their Products that they mass produce it is mostly junk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.